[LUG] SAMBA

Hi All

Thanks for the advice about SAMBA and using other networks, it will be taken.  However a funny thing is happening to my computer. (I think.)  My 'appreciation" of Linux is growing, this LUG helps.  As a result I decided to reorganise my Lin/Win machine, by giving back Windows all of the small hard drive, and moving Linux onto the large drive.  The only other thing I did was get SAMBA to start at boot (as it did before).  Fine.  However now when I l try and connect via Neighbourhood network not only do I see the computer but I get as far as being asked for a Password.  Now as I have set up no shares (nor anything really) I am not surprised I get no further.  Nor for that reason have I attempted to "Add Network place".  Also I can now ping computer name, before I got no such host.

My question is would it have been possible for the DNS settings on the downstairs machine, which included St Peters, to have made there way over the network to the other machine?  If so would that have created problems?  For the moment I am disconnecting the downstairs computer.

Peter

Lynx friendly