Re: [LUG] Wireless Card Config

george_sinclair@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

do you (or others) know the exact format for entering
WEP keys ? for 64 bit is it XX:XX:XX:XX:XX ? My windows systems (which
work just fine) just use a 10 decimal value, ( eg 1234567890 ) as
written on bottom of wireless router.

The guy who wrote /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts seems to know, have a read
(or see the PCMCIA documentation for where it is on your platform).

It varies between drivers - if this seems stupid it varies between
Windows software vendors as well <sigh - everyone is stupid>.

Usually a syntax like 0000-0000-00 works for short (64bit) keys.

The Windows/Router is probably ten hexadecimal digits (not decimal) as I
don't think 10 decimal digits is enough "secret" for the standard key
lengths.

In Microsoft Windows sometimes you enter the key in funny formats, but
you can view the driver details for the Wireless card, advanced tab -
which usually has it in hexadecimal.

1 hexadecimal digit is 4 bits - the CISCO software for Windows makes you
type a 26 digit hexadecimal code twice (for verifying) into an "starred
out" password type field - eek. Which is still only 104 bits if my maths
is right.

Anyone else wonder where the rest of the key is coming from ? The
missing 24 bits (it's 128 bit encryption right) is basically generated
on the fly. Understand WEP is broken and if you aren't typing 26 digit
encryption keys it is probably even weaker than you've been led to
believe - but I'm perfectly happy to use 64bit WEP at home.