Re: [LUG] Bandwidth monitoring

Jonathan Melhuish wrote:

The bigger issue is the approach your upstream takes to the incident,
but compared to the number of infected Windows boxes, hotspots by people
who have a clue are not going to be a big issue.

That's true.  I seem to be getting loads of short, but random-ish
messages with Zip files attatched at the mo.  I must install Razor
sometime...

I was thinking spam - how do you think the current RBL got to have
100'000s of entries?

Since SOBIG.F the majority of spam sources(I'm not sure it is the
majority of spam YET!) we see are random scattered PCs. With the current
level of anti-spam filtering in place spamming would probably be
uneconomic if the spammers had to buy their own bandwidth and servers,
they just steal it.

Some estimates say something like one in every 250 Windows machines is
being used to send spam, I think they are probably a bit high.

Also not to let the bad news pass - anyone notice the recent hike in
port 80 probes? Yeap another Windows worm, another half a milion
infected Windows boxes <sigh>.