Re: Debian 2.6.2 Re: [LUG] distros and "drivers" as such

Added "evdev" and "psmouse" to /etc/modules so they load at boot to get
my mouse (really a touch pad) back from the dead.

The debian kernels are super-modular, even the filesystems are built as
modules thus the kernel requires an initrd image.. It's better to
configure your own kernel source and use kernel-package to build a
kernel-image.deb; That way you can build-in stuff like psmouse and a
suitable framebuffer driver and it'll be a good deal smaller.

Once they sort the mouse - they can probably ship 2.6 in Debian stable
pretty soon.

They could build-in psmouse but I doubt they will. The stock debian
kernels are always built with everything that can be as a module. You
could always install discover or detect (I forget which it is), that'll
scan your hardware on boot and load the right modules.