Re: [LUG] The wrong kind of Open Source.

Gemma Peter wrote:

(MyDoom didn't exploit any flaw in the code).

Urm - no it utilises several design flaws - which is to execute
attachments that are executables too readily, and not to display clearly
what an attachment is.

Mozilla will execute "virus.sh" attachment if you tell it to use
"/bin/bash" as the program to open the file with. However by default
".sh" is not mapped to "/bin/bash", and if you tried to introduce it as
a default the Mozilla development team would deride your lack of clear
thinking.

Also Mozilla clearly displays the file name, and tells you what it is
opening the attachment with.

Salutory lesson in just how little stands between GNU/Linux users and
viruses. All that is needed is one of the common applications used for
reading attachments to allow arbitary code execution, either
deliberately or through flaws.

Whilst I think there are structural reasons why GNU/Linux has less
malware, it is a long way from being even vaguely secure against
knowledgable attackers.

Of course on a well secured system the malware shouldn't find anywhere
to store itself away, so if the user realises what has happened he can
just kill the processes. But typically a users .profile can be modified
allowing a virus to restart when the user next logs in, or .bashrc, for
the next shell launched etc. We all sure that executables are read only
for general users on our systems?

find / -perm -003

....finds very few files on my system, but quite a lot of /usr/local is
owned by srw, and used by other users (well Faye).... bad Simon....

Perhaps it is time to redo the Kuang analysis tools - and to start
harden GNU/Linux properly. 'tripwire' is not enough.