Re: [LUG] Linux in the news

On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 23:01, Tony Atkin wrote:
The BBC have put up a nice friendly article about Linux going mainstream at

One of the social science (LETS schemes) mailing lists picked out what
could be one of the most significant political points (political as in
public interest and commonweal) for the adoption of open source/free
software, which could sorely do with development in linux/open/free s/w
advocacy.

HOW much has Microsoft leached out of Britain's economy, directly and
via knock on effects/loss of multipliers? And "we" are giving the sod
responsible a effing KNIGHTHOOD????? As someone once called it 300 or
more years ago - who dares call it treason when traitors doth prosper...
Anyway I bring this excerpt to your attention:

"
"If you spend a dollar with a local company working on Linux, that
dollar stays in your economy," said Simon Phipps of Sun Microsystems.

"When you spend a dollar with a multi-national corporation as a license
fee for a piece of software, that dollar leaves your country."

"It's about keeping the money in your local economy, developing skills
and developing the local economy to be strong in its own right in a
global context."