Re: [LUG] LPI courses and exams?

Grant Sewell wrote:
| On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 00:14:10 +0000
| Neil Stone <Neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
|

|>All a matter of relativity... If you know the answers.. it's easy.. if
|>you don't it's harder...
|>
|>| Oh, and I wasn't planning on doing some boot-camp approach to it
|>because (principally)
|>| I can't afford to :(.  I was planning on simply going Vue Pearson for
|>the exams.
|>
|>May want to consider a Career Development Loan.. ask at job centre etc
|>for more info.
|>

| Cheers.  I meant the bootcamps are too expensive.  I was thinking
about just taking the exams without the instruction - I can read and I
have a couple of Linux boxes to play about with, so I'm happy to do this
without a 'teacher'.  Saves a few pennies too... difference between
£1500-£2500 for the bootcamps and ~£150-£200 for just the exams, which I
_can_ afford :D

| Thanks for the heads up on the relativity of it... what I mean was how
much depth are you supposed to go into for LPI 101?  The objectives are
a little hazy: http://www.lpi.org/en/obj_101.html  Are you supposed to
be doing this as if you're working on any particular distro or is it
supposed to be a 'clean' machine, or an LFS style setup?  If they're
basing it on a standard Debian or RedHat system then most of it seems
fairly straight forward.  If they've got themselves an imaginary LPI
'distro' for the exams that needs you to do all the work from scratch,
that's a slightly different matter.  Not too bad, but not as nice :)

The LPI is designed as an "all systems" certification, you need
knowledge of redhat, debian and a few others. The kind of depth you need
to go in to does seem to vary a little however. Some of the mock exams I
have taken were far more challenging than others. basically LPi101 was
designed to be a basic overview.. shouldn't be that hard for some of the
more accomplished linux bods on this mailing list...

- --
Neil Stone

~ Flash on telnet://TR3.Org:3000 and irc://irc.r-t-f-m.org.uk/DCLUG

~   .~.   SELECT * FROM windows.users WHERE (clue != NULL AND clue > 0);
~   /V\
~  // \\   0 row(s) returned.
~ /(   )\
~  ^`~'^

"Backups are for wimps. Real men upload their data to an FTP site and
have everyone else mirror it."                    - Linus Torvalds