From: David Brook [mailto:David.Brook@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 05 February 2004 15:22
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LUG] SUSE 9.0 Pro and Athlon 3000+ systems

Has anyone else experienced problems running SUSE 9.0 (kernel 2.4.21) with 64 bit athlon systems?

I rebuilt a home server using an ASUS SK8N motherboard, Opteron 144 processor and 1GB Corsair registered memory plus all the other bits and pieces and experienced numerous lockups and slow performance.

As part of the problem diagnosis, I replaced this board/chip with an Abit KV8-MAX3 board and Athlon 64 3000+ chip.  Still getting lockups (with wildly differing codes exhibited by the onboard display - none of which appear in the manual nor Abit site).

I have flashed the latest BIOS versions, tried onboard features rather than PCI, disabled all possible board features to ensure no interrupt conflicts etc., tried running as a skeleton system, different memory, substituted all system components (even down to power supply and cables)  tried all the usuals like disabling power management, ACPI but am no nearer a solution.

It seems unlikely to have 2 duff boards. The 64 bit athlons are supposed to be OK with 32 bit code but this is the only area left that I can think of which might be the cause.

Any ideas.....Please.......

David

PS Thinking of coming to Exeter, never been before but certainly hope to get there this time.

Lynx friendly