Re: [LUG] OT: FUD spreading at University of Plymouth?

On Wednesday 04 Feb 2004 11:39 am, Gemma Peter wrote:
I got this from university:
Next tuesday (the 10th Feb) at 1pm there will be a lecture given by a
representative of MicroSoft on web services/.NET in Scott 001

From 2pm onwards there will also be a drop in clinic for anyone with any
queries about developing in .NET

s/lecture/brain washing session/
s/drop in clinic/frontal lobotomy/

I don't know whether it's just for students or not

Perhaps the LUG could arrange a lecture about Linux + Open Source sometime.

Ooops. That was the original intention from the last meeting in Plymouth Uni.,
but it kind of slipped.

OK. Andrew, Gemma, James, Grant, Daniel and me. Hopefully we can persuade Neil
S / Rick / Bill / Simon from Exeter-way to help out, Tony are you available
to repeat the talk from http://www.dclug.org.uk/ossday/ ? Adrian? Theo? Tom?

As far as programming goes - that too is very topical for me. Codehelp has
been lacking in good C++ examples/help for complete newbies and it is on my
(long) ToDo list. As a self-taught C/C++ programmer who started learning
programming with C as my first language (!) I feel I should be willing to
help. OK, I did a bit of BASIC (not VB - real ZX81 BASIC) and batch files
before C but not enough to amount to much. So I'll volunteer to get something
up as 'C for programming newbies' and it'll be heavily Linux biased - for one
simple reason. The C/C++ compiler on Linux is v.v.v.good, v.v.fast, free,
efficient and supremely easy to use for simple test programs at the command
line. Compared to a Windows GUI IDE which requires a project even for a
simple "Hello World!", it's bliss. I'll base it on standard libraries and add
a touch of ncurses, but the emphasis I'd like is 'How to start coding' - what
is syntax, what editors to use, do filenames matter, program structure, I/O,
data types, data handling, arithmetic, 'what the compiler does' and simple
debugging using exit() to create breakpoints. I'll try and get this onto the
codehelp website by the spring.

With the Exeter meeting coming up in half-term, I don't know about timing.
Should we try something hasty whilst the iron is hot or more considered, more
conducive to the impression of GNU/Linux as a reliable, stable, usable
system. (i.e. when something is thrown together at the last minute, any
system will show a gremlin or two.) I'd prefer March sometime.

Andrew/Phil - could you investigate the possibility of a lecture hall?

We could do this as an intro and later in the year maybe fix up a hands-on
computer session like we did in August last year that could be done as a LAMP
Server School based around Debian? Maybe sometime in the summer term? That
could be run with the help of Termisoc and involve LUG and Uni people. A
whole day of problem-solving, server configuration, testing and advice -
along the lines of the Linux Install Day way back in 2001.

Could Termisoc provide a room with internet connection, power points and
ethernet hubs for a summer meeting?

--

Neil Williams