Re: [LUG]: OT Was- Help Please - I/O errors

On Sunday 25 January 2004 9:56 am, Neil Williams wrote:

The problem in Windows is that every script kiddie with a grudge can write
a malicious agent.

The only solution is prevention, not fighting a rearguard action.
Neil,

Thanks re. the i/o query.  I did a second scan and the "errors" had dropped to
four.

On the "M$ Dark Side" (OT) - AVG had been installed and updated at weekly
intervals over several months on both PCs as a replacement for a freebie
version of Norton's AV.  I spotted the two virus  .exe files, apparently
sitting dormant in a directory which holds various programme downloads from
the internet e.g. Pegasus Mail, Opera, Mozilla, AVG, Spybot and Zone Alarm on
both PCs.  It was only when I removed AVG and installed Macafee that they
were "detected".  Bit puzzled as to why they were sitting there blatently
labelled as virus  .exe files waiting for someone to execute them.  It's the
first time that I've come anywhere near to being infected by a virus for
18yrs, apart from receiving dodgy e-mail attachments hastily deleted.

David Bell
Hatherleigh, Devon