Re: [LUG] OT: New CD Formats?

It told of Celine Dion CD's being particularly difficult to play in some Macs.

It was a problem on some models, especially slot loading iMacs and PowerBooks.. With no eject mechanism on the drive itself, the only way to force disks out is to reboot with the mouse button held down...

But do read the article sounds like panic by the music industry.
Could not a legitimate purchaser play the Cd on a hifi and get it on a hard drive file via the line in on the sound card and then pass it around the world on peer to peer?

They could, but the sound quality would be degraded. It wouldn't be a digital copy.

Warp Records have introduced DRM free mp3 music store today, I've not tried it yet, but I have to say that the iTunes Music Store is pretty good, very good quality files, and they sound great. The service is really easy to use also.

matt
--
matt lee <mattl@xxxxxxx>
Webmaster, Free Software Foundation - <http://www.gnu.org/>