Re: [LUG] Watching DVD's

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 8:15 pm, george_sinclair@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi there - can someone please point me to where I can get the complete
explanation (ie step by step instructions) of how I can watch my DVD's on
my SuSe 8.2 hp 4150 laptop. I believe that I need to install some
additional libraries to the default Xine player.

thanks
George

Xine works for me George although having 3D acc does
seem to give a smoother display.

Most of what you need is already available on the SuSE 8.2
disks. But in addition you will need:-

       libxine-dvd
and
       w32codec

which it appears cannot be supplied by SuSE for
commercial reasons. They can be found at

       http://packman.links2linux.org/
or
       http://xinehq.de

The former has SuSE specific versions of other applications
as well the complete xine package. Just type the above
packages into the search box on the Packman site and
select your distro number.
The latter is the Xine home site which is full of info and forums.

You may need to update some of your existing Xine packages
(if you installed them from the 8.2 disks). In any case YOU will
tell you what you need to update or what else you need to install
when you attempt to install libxine-dvd.

I can give you a complete iist of the xine packages (and version
Nos.) I have installed on my system if it's any help to you.

Keith
--
SuSE 8.2 on ECS K7S5A/XP with 1.2GHz Athlon, 384MB RAM,
Maxtor 20GB HD and using KDE's Kmail