Re: [LUG] Guardian Offline

On Thursday 08 January 2004 20:58, Kai Hendry wrote:

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/ut1_report/report_main.html
Sun invested in Usability testing with Gnome.
Thank you.

I would like to fire off an email to Jack, but where is his email ?
I think to the editor, and I think an email signed by several of us will
be more useful than an individual email, especially, and please don't take
this as at all pejorative, one of your typical ones.

His last paragraph, about the billionaire is particularly naive. With
Microsoft as a monopoly there will only be one IT billionaire, and a lot
of MSCE peons.

THis raises a point I didn't attempt to write into my first draft - the
commoditization of IT, which is on the whole for consumers at least a good
thing.

Section Draft 1
----------------------
FLOSS development of solutions for common tasks is part of a
commoditization of a technology.  This is not new and has applied to
vacuum cleaners, vehicles and many other technologies.

The consumer is not badly served by a steady reduction in the price of
software that does office tasks or supports other software in ordinary
work.

Neither is the entrepreneur or business man badly served by it.  His path
to riches ceases to be one of locking a customer in by controlling the
format of their data, or of making high profits from single sales, and
beocmes one of providing excellent and timely support, and volume sales of
inexpensive objects  (for instance CDs and instructions full of Free
software).

The programmer also is well served by it.  Programmers prefer to work on
interesting tasks, and it is likely that working on the first example of a
solution to a new class of solutions to currently unsolved problems is
better for all of us than working at another example of a closed source
system for a customer remarkably similar to many others.

End draft

I think it makes it too long.

--
Dr Adrian Midgley          I use Free software because it is better
http://www.defoam.net/    They carefully didn't ask.