Re: [LUG] Where to advertise a job?

On Wednesday 07 Jan 2004 2:06 pm, Gwilym Stephenson wrote:
a good knowledge of Windows 2000 Server & Outlook config is essential.

Any prospects of dumping Outlook for Mozilla/Thunderbird and/or Windows for
Debian / Mandrake / Linux Terminal Server Project / Beowulf cluster ?
(Nothing wrong with being ambitious!)

There will be periods of working with clients on their sites but this is a
predominantly home based position.

Is broadband essential, or will dial-up be adequate? Will connection costs be
covered? Must it be an employee or could freelance / self-employed be used?

Extreme confidentiality is required as well as the ability to present
technical information to non-technical personnel.

Define extreme.
1.There are doctors (MD and PhD) and other healthcare staff on this list (me:
pharmacist) - confidentiality in healthcare is second nature and very well
understood. In what sense do you understand it? Medical / Legal / Financial /
Personal / Religious / Military. I was going to put political but politicians
and confidentiality are poor bedfellows.
2. If it is that sensitive, presumably all communications would need to be
encrypted with SSL or GnuPG/PGP? Pointless sending confidential data over
public networks in plain text! (Or allowing Outlook anywhere near it, to be
brutally honest!) Or are you offering a VPN to home?
3. Any objections to Free Software implementations? (check the definition
before answering that one - it is free as in freedom of the code and of
users, which doesn't mean data becoming public, only the code. GnuPG is Free
Software but the encrypted data is secure.)

I would be interested in opinions on salary, conditions and the best place
to advertise such a "Somerset home-based position" (e.g. web sites,
recruitment agents, local paper etc.)

I'd think carefully about the wording first. A local paper ad will often
result in a deluge of unsuitable wannabes. Agencies will add cost.

How much time is allotted? (You've only just joined the list {so welcome,
btw}, is there a deadline behind why you joined now?) (Yes, I am usually that
cynical!)
:-))

I'd add some kind of timescale in a reply because this list goes into a public
archive every night. In effect, you've already got one free (permanent) ad
but without a 'closing date' of some kind, it may come back to bite you in
the future!

--

Neil Williams