Re: [LUG] NVIDIA PROBLEMS

On Sunday 14 December 2003 16:59, paul wrote:
> I have just used yast to update suse 9 and it downloaded the nvidia
> drivers, this seeemed to go fine, upon rebooting the screen freezes on the
> login screen (i get the nvidia splash screen),  I can control the mouse,
> but can't do anything like use the keyboard,
 firstly dont use the yast update thing for the nvidia drivers its no good see
the nvidia website for an explanation.

> I switched to runlevel 3 using init 3 and had a look at yast from there, I
> have 3d accealaration enabled, yast will allow me to remove the nvidia
> driver and restore what I had before, or it will do this if I disable 3d
> accellaration,
>
> using startx from the console gets as far as loading the final bit of kde,
> (restoring session i think) then it just freezes the screen.

I too have the same problems and use a geforce 4 mx440, switching from init 3
to 5 for kdm login causes lockup

> whats goning wrong?
>
> I have a geforce4 mx440 card, or a 420 not sure which,  which is in an agp
> slot,
>
> I had this before, so I suspect it's an issue with the card, but I am not
> sure.  Given that yast has done the configure I can kind of rule out me not
> doing the config right as i did not need to edit the xf86config file,
>
> thanks for any help

for working 3D goto nvidia and download the 7mb driver they now produce init 3
and sh the offending nvidia article this will build specific kernel modules
for your suse 9 kernel then sax2 and enable 3D, reboot the system as
mentioned earlier switching back to init 5 with a GF MX causes a lockup.

cheers lee.