[LUG] Video editing

Dear All

I am just on the verge of starting a business doing editing work. Mostly
weddings etc. but also other functions.

I am trying to see if I can put together a Linux box which will allow me to do
real time editing and also have a fast rendering speed. I need to get a
high-end ATI card and of course use MainActor.

And so getting to the point I have several questions. Firstly, has anybody got
such a box, what hardware they used, etc. or has anybody got any idea how to
put such a box together?

Secondly the other route to go down is to get Final Cut Pro on a G4/G5 mac.
Any thoughts?

Either way I need to build a server that will function as a mail, backup and
router server. I would want to run Apache and PHP/Mysql. I will need to
set-up a web site that will be PHP/Mysql driven with easy content updating
and also at some point possibly an internet commerce site.

I have an Athlon 750 with 20gig H/D and 250 gig Ram. My thoughts are to use
the Athlon as the router/mail server and buy a tape drive and use that as a
backup device. And then purchase a separate machine to be the Apache and
PHP/Mysql machine.

Any thoughts and would anyone like the job of setting up the same and
management of it.

I need to know because I have access to funds that would come in the shape of
a grant to get the business up and running. They might be some loan element
but it would be small. So the best thing to do is to get as much grant funded
at the start as possible!

If you would like a crack at the server management you can email me off-list
with a price. I reckon on trying to get around £150 a day plus expenses to
set-up and then some on-going fee...

Thanks for all the help in the past. I have tried to get there myself and so
nearly made it but I have run out of time. Unless of course someone wants to
come and offer one on one tuition!

Thanks

Rich