[LUG] The Joy of Linux!

It never ceases to amaze, linux is such an enjoyable OS! Its just full of
pleasing surprises.
I have used RPM based distros for quite a while, not wanting to get into a
debate with our deb friends! about the relative pros and cons :)
Anyhoo any SUSE,fedora,mandrake etc user knows the importance of dependancies.
and the rather unpleasent effects of breaking those dependancies.
Saw a rather cool file browser called FSV(file system visualisation) based on
the IRIX toy used in jurassic park,done the usual ./configure,make,make
install and ran it...
Oh drat requires Libgtkgl.so.5, no probs lets Rpmfind,one coffee later and
bingo,but no! SUSE uses libgtkgl.so.4 and by installing RPM gtkglarea will
break X ammount of dependancies :(
Then after a good google thrashing came accross a little snippit in a linux
post about midnight commander.
This is the surprise bit it can browse the contents of RPM's and extract
individual files! yay.So i pulled the individual Lib and now i have 3D file
browsing lovelyness with out upsetting the myriad of programs that demanded
the so.4 flavour.
All hail the creators of MC!

Linux puts the fun back into tinkering with computers.

Lee.