Re: [LUG] pgp thang

On Tuesday 04 Nov 2003 12:39 pm, Steve Marvell wrote:
> [-- PGP output follows (current time: Tue Nov  4 12:38:09 2003) --]
> gpg: Signature made Sat Nov  1 16:46:26 2003 GMT using DSA key ID 28BCB3E3
> gpg: Can't check signature: public key not found

Your system is asking gpg to validate the signature found in the email but you
haven't got a copy of my public key on your system for it to access.

$ gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key 28BCB3E3
will retrieve the key.

> I get that for signed messages.
>
> Any ideas?

It'll specify a different key for each signatory.

If you want to check each signature, you can either set gpg to retrieve all
keys from keyservers or simply download the entire DCLUG keyring in one go
and import all current DCLUG keys into gpg:
http://www.dclug.org.uk/linux_adm/gnupg.html
http://www.dclug.org.uk/linux_adm/gnupg.html#keyring
http://www.dclug.org.uk/cgi-bin/keyring.pl

Save the output of keyring.pl to a file and import (following instructions on
the gnupg.html#keyring link.)

To retrieve keys automatically, go to the ~/.gnupg/ folder and look for
options or gpg.conf (depending on how old your version of gpg is). Then you
can add a keyserver (pgp.mit.edu or pgp.uk.demon.net are OK for most keys)
and add the auto-key-retrieve option to keyserver-options.

--

Neil Williams