Re: [LUG] sendfax and jpg graphics

On Friday 07 November 2003 19:08, Simon Robert wrote:
> Can anyone help me on this as I'm banging my head against a brick wall
> here.
>
> I'm running faxrunqd to send faxes directly from the application I work on.
> It's great, no problem, except the clients (always a problem) want their
> company logos on the fax.
>
> The fax generated by the app is plain text, faxspool takes the text file
> converts it into a type 2 modem bitmap, (*.g3) and sticks it in the fax
> queue. At this point I somehow need to get a logo, (a *.gif file as
> faxspool can convert these) into the document.
>
> Maybe it can be concated, or maybe the logo could be a "watermark" in the
> background, whatever. I'm open to any suggestions....
>
> Anyone have any ideas? I hope this is blindingly obvious and that I'm just
> to ignorant to realize that the very obvious solution is

OK - paraphrase time ...

Text file is rendered to a bitonal bitmap which is then ITU-T T4 compressed
befor you get to see it again as a .g3 file  (Am I right so far ?)

In order to merge a .gif or .jpg you're going to have to jump through the
following hoops :

1) decompress the .g3 to build a bitonal bitmap.
2) decompress and colour-reduce the .jpg or .gif to 1 bit per sample (you may
want to dither this as well if you're keen on a watermark...)
3) use the powerful "OR" instruction to combine the two, taking account of
where you want 2 to appear in 1
4) recompress the bitmap (remember that you can change its height but not its
width)

There may be a program out ther that will do this, but I'd be inclined to fire
up a C compiler and read the docs on libtiff

jd

--
John Daragon           argv[0] limited               john@xxxxxxxxxx
Lambs Lawn Cottage, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton TA3 5SL, UK