RE: [LUG] SMTP authorisatio by certificates - Theo?

> Slightly different problem. Here I wanted to allow people from a.n.other
> network (thanks to a certain national telecoms provider's flexible
service)
> to send via our SMTP relay. Of course they have dynamic IP addresses :(

One option that may be excessivly complex is IPSEC (ip security) aka
Freeswan (but isn't that difficult in practice). This has nothing to do
specificly with the Sendmail smtp problem but it would allow only x509
certificate authorised systems to connect to your server. Sutible firewall
rules would allow IPSEC clients to see the smtp server while others get
their packets droped/refused + the firewall can also let unauthorised
clients connect to other services if you require it is very flexible.

As the client requires a certificate you can control who has certificates
and revoke if necessary and it is not ip address dependent, compatible with
linux as well as windows NT XP 2k (out of the box) for the windows users
(95/98 is problematic but not impossible) and totaly mail client
independent.

Just a thought,

robin