Re: [LUG] people.debian.org

Luke wrote:

> Anyone know if there is a problem with people.debain.org?

A number of Debian's servers were compromised, they claim the archive is
sound, I don't think 'people' counts as part of the archive.

Probably an occaison when patching ater is the best course for once.

 Simon, waiting for the MX records for backup MX servers to expire to
stop the spammers using our own servers against us :(

It's not the mail server can't handle 400 incoming messages a minute, it
is that it slows down it's handling of new requests to the point that
the monitoring software times out :( It then logs a complaint that the
monitoring software disconnected without saying anything <sigh>. And the
monioring software pages Simon.

Resart sendmail and another dozen spam boxes reconnect instantly and
start ploughing through a different bit of the dictionary. And yes off
topic, all the spam boxes seem to be running Windows.

I so wish I'd dumped the backup MX's when I spotted they were handling a
third of our email (I use the term loosely - think SPAM) even when the
primary was up and running.

Anyone else facing such dedicated attention from the spambots, or is it
just our turn. Oh for Postfix, with readable antispam configuration
options, and built in tar-pitting of such abusers....