[LUG] Another Debian Desktop

Building myself a desktop machine at work with Debian.

Debian stable CD, used "netselect-apt" on my laptop to write a
sources.list, and a quick bit of apt'ing (oh so much faster than ISDN),
and a new Debian box is born.

XF86 put up it's usual fight, and was subdued with xf86cfg.

It was my intent to run Debian stable, as unstable is too much grief for
a work Desktop (hey what is happening with Python by the way, I assume
some horrid incompatible upgrade is being worked out in unstable, but I
didn't quite follow the posts I saw).

Bit disappointed to find I'm only one version of Kmail ahead of the
archaic Redhat box it is replacing, but then the only Kmail bug so far
I've encountered is memory leakage (or something suspiciously similar -
128MB for Kmail...).

Konqueror seems to hang on both boxes, alas the package archive is down
for checking the bug list, anyone else seen this?

Some how I'm sure I should have more packages to upgrade via apt, do I
need to do an "apt-get upgrade" despite wanting to stick with stable?

Does everyone use the "bunk" copy of OpenOffice (what an unfortunate
surname for this context).

I'm sure it will all seem much clearer after the weekend off.

Suggestions on handy "Office" tools to install. Good network tools also
sought for geeky dionostic type things. I want to stay within Debian
packages, and ideally where possible the Official release.