Re: [LUG] Network, RedHat 9 to Win 98 to Mac OS X

Quoting richard.fuller1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> Hello Newbie here......
>
> I'm trying to set up a small home network. mainly at this stage to
> share an internet connection.
>
> Main computer running Win98 linked to internet via Btopenworld ADSL,
> green frog modem..this has to be my main computer for my business.
> I've just loaded RedHat 9 on my other computer that I use for
> recreation (?).install went like a dream... My son has a Mac far far
> away in his room.
>
> I wish to keep Win 98 computer as it is .....link into Linksys
> Wireless G Broadband router with a physical network cable from Win98
> computer and also RedHat  computer and link via wireless to my sons
> Mac far far away in his room.
>
> What can of worms am I opening here ??
>
> Question 1. Keeping Win98 computer as Host avoids problems of trying
> to get USB Alcatel modem to join to RJ45 Router ....right ??

You either have an ADSL modem or an ADSL router as termination gear for your
adsl connection, not both

> Question 2. Will RedHat9 be happy to share the Internet connection
> with Win98 computer as host ?

If you have some software on the windows box to cope with the routing/nat, yes.

> Question 3. Off topic I know but does anybody know if Mac will stomach
> the above set up ?

All you're doing is routing IP, so if the linux box works, so should the mac,
and any other machine that is capable of talking IP (almost everything).

>  Opinions on the web as far as I can see vary from impossible to piece
> of cake !!

You can use something like wingate (I think it's shareware) to do the routing
on your windows box, but given the choice I'd never have a windows maching
pointing directly at the internet.  You could put some firewall software on
your windows box, or much more sensibly have your linux box as the gateway.

I don't however quite understand your current network layout (and I've seen
some bizzare stuff in my time), particularly how you're using the "Linksys
Wireless G Broadband router", whatever one of those is...

Alex.