Re: [LUG] Unrecoverable Crash

Hi Lee,

sounds nasty!. The first place to look would always be the syslog /var/log/
syslog maybe /var/log/messages on some distros. You should be able to look
towards the end of it and itentify where you rebooted from and look back
before there before the crash to see if there is any naughtyness at all.

For totaly random crashes never underestimate the power of a "hot processor".
My system can overheat at times due to a poor CPU fan and this can cause
random crashes and worse when compiling it can cause garbage to enter
binaries causing untraceable errors! Do the problems occur during/after heavy
cpu load? you mentioned games (good chance yes then) and media play back
(potential heavy cpu user).

If the syslog shows nothing it may be worth monitoring CPU temperature if your
cpu/motherboard supports it. I can't remember off hand the name but there is
some linux kernel and userspace stuff for motherboard monitoring.

Regards

Robin