Re: [LUG] transferring a disk structure to another, bigger one

On Sunday 19 October 2003 15:29, Mark Evans wrote:

> A far better command would be "cp -a". After first making the
> appropriate filesystem(s) on the new HDD.

Will cp -a copy the boot sector?

I'm replacing my fairly full single system drive and single data drive
(notional division) with a pair of large drives which if things go well I
shall mirror, but not at least at preent by buying Promise controllers or
going SCSI.

At the same time, SuSE 7.2 has just gone out of maintenance, so I shall
move to either SuSE 8.2 which I have reasonable experience with, or SuSE
9.0 which I have a review copy with and the production discs for are on
back order.

So I want to make sure I have a drive with a full backup of a usable
system and all data on it - this is accomplished.

7.2 doesn't actually have parted or at least this machine doesn't. I used
it to alter the partitions on a pair of Thinkpad R40e machines and it
seemed very useful, so I probably will use that.  Another option would be
to go from scratch on the second of the new large drives, and then get the
data and accounts over to it, but of course part of a review includes
doing interesting things with the software, doesn't it.

--
From the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/