Re: [LUG] Meeting last thursday and Suse9 problems

Hello Folks
First a thank you to the four other LUG members that attended the
meeting at the Rugby Club last Thursday or was it the Thursday before.
I had a great time nice to meet you.
Next I have got round to installing Suse 9 from a copy Paul gave me at
the meeting. Many thanks Paul!
To save some head scratching I will list the things I found as problems.

1. if you try to update an existing Suse distribution it fails, in that
it finds many programs that it cannot handle and suggests you delete
them, I found no way round that one.

2. Be careful of excepting the monitor details it finds, it tried to put
mine at a far to big a resolution and frequency that it could not handle.
When I corrected it it complained and tried to put the settings back.
Beware.

3. When logged in as root or a user, a short cut is put on the desktop
called data1, linked to a file in root.
this contains a no of files and folders, not all makes sense.
One called windows contains shortcuts to any windows partitions or drive
on the machine (correctly identified) but they do not work.
The reason is that a fstab file is created to mount them but it is not
put in the /etc folder but left in the /data1/etc folder, also the
/windows folder is not created in root.
So to get it to work the fstab file must be copyed/moved to the correct
place in /etc replacing the one in there and a /windows folder created
in root with the same information on the windows partition/drives as
seen in the fstab from /data1/etc .

4. Kwrite bombs out with an error and loses data if you 'save as'.

5. It is not possible to create a boot or rescue floppy, it reports no
image found. It will boot from the CD with a rescue system.
I hope this is of help to someone.
comments please
Trevor