Re: [LUG] Meeting last thursday and Suse9 problems

Thanks,  i have got an e-mail thanking everyone in my Linux out box, but
it's not working properly so won't send,  anyway what I have noticed is that
you can install suse on 2 computers and end up with something that looks
different on each,  which is kind of confusing,

> Hello Folks
> First a thank you to the four other LUG members that attended the
> meeting at the Rugby Club last Thursday or was it the Thursday before.
> I had a great time nice to meet you.
> Next I have got round to installing Suse 9 from a copy Paul gave me at
> the meeting. Many thanks Paul!
> To save some head scratching I will list the things I found as problems.
>
> 1. if you try to update an existing Suse distribution it fails, in that
> it finds many programs that it cannot handle and suggests you delete
> them, I found no way round that one.

I have found this too,  with older versions. I just try a clean install,
which is not much help unless you put /home/ on a partition on it's own and
and remember not to format it !!!!

> 2. Be careful of excepting the monitor details it finds, it tried to put
> mine at a far to big a resolution and frequency that it could not handle.
> When I corrected it it complained and tried to put the settings back.
> Beware.

Unlike with 8.2 this seem to work flawlessly,  in fact I don't remember
seeing a screen to set this up, i would copy your xf86config file to a
floppy so you can restore if you have any problems later,  or in case of
reinstalling, unlike with windows you can do alt Fn to get to a console, and
do it from there.

> 3. When logged in as root or a user, a short cut is put on the desktop
> called data1, linked to a file in root.
> this contains a no of files and folders, not all makes sense.
> One called windows contains shortcuts to any windows partitions or drive
> on the machine (correctly identified) but they do not work.
> The reason is that a fstab file is created to mount them but it is not
> put in the /etc folder but left in the /data1/etc folder, also the
> /windows folder is not created in root.
> So to get it to work the fstab file must be copyed/moved to the correct
> place in /etc replacing the one in there and a /windows folder created
> in root with the same information on the windows partition/drives as
> seen in the fstab from /data1/etc .

Again I will have a look.

> 4. Kwrite bombs out with an error and loses data if you 'save as'.

Koffice is still in early stages i think, and seems to do this quite a lot,
I use open office,

> 5. It is not possible to create a boot or rescue floppy, it reports no
> image found. It will boot from the CD with a rescue system.

I will look in to this one,