[LUG] school funding and OSS promotion

Following this article, .

http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=102060&command=displayContent&sourceNode=100885&contentPK=7578328

I will write to him and suggest investment in either open source software,
or using star office in place of MS office, and perhaps Linux in servers.

What is the groups current stance on helping schools with any move over to
OSS and or sun type licences which can save schools cash.  I think advocacy
is working slowly as long as the message gets through to the right people.

I am not on about putting Linux on the desktop (even though this is a long
term aim),  perhaps start off with primary schools using open office the
money saved can be spent on upgrading existing hardware. or building new
computers from scratch that then run Linux, avoiding the MS equation
altogether,  get schools to pressure suppliers for Linux support,  so
drivers for whiteboards are provided as standard, and they have the
confidence to tell MS where to go if they try and stop them.

The link below is to suns licencing prices for star office, so anyone
wanting to write or e-mail their local schools can do so and include the
links.

http://wwws.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/index.html

It seesm to me every year we read the same article, and every year we write
to schools and nothing gets done, then a year on the same happens.

Paul

---