Re: [LUG] Evolution 1.4.0: Questions

On Monday 29 Sep 2003 7:33 pm, Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Couple of queries from a noob here :)

Welcome.

> 1.  Why on earth does Evolution insist on cramming any reply messages I
> write into the same width as the message I am replying to?  As you saw
> from my reply to Simon (why no html) it looks messy and is a pain in the
> a$$.  Come to think of it this message isn't a hell of a lot better and
> this is *composed* from scratch.

I don't think it looks that bad and as webmaster I much rather that it does
exactly this because, as I explained, lines that are not wrapped correctly
are a horrendous problem for me.

Your line endings are in line with the KMail default albeit a couple of
characters longer. Exactly how many characters is not a problem - what bugs
me is when the client simply doesn't put line endings in AT ALL!

How long do you want the lines to be? Around 78-84 characters is usually
deemed suitable.

> 2.  Printing font.  Every single time I print, the font used to print
> out is A.D.MONO and it is a swine to read.

(You print email??)

I've always had problems with Evolution - it just doesn't seem to ever be
ready or stable. It's OpenPGP support is broken and the team refuse to fix it
(because other bugs make it too hard to fix the OpenPGP bug) and it simply
doesn't offer the flexibility or control of KMail. e.g. Someone will correct
me if this has been updated, but Evolution (like Mozilla) didn't have a pipe
through filter command - needed for spam filters like SpamAssassin - last
time I looked at it.

There's a configuration setting somewhere to fix your printing font problem,
but I never used Evolution for long enough to find it.

--

Neil Williams