Re: [LUG] Anyone fancy helping?

On Thursday 25 Sep 2003 10:47 pm, Neil Stone wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
> > On Wednesday 24 Sep 2003 11:27 pm, Neil Stone wrote:
> >>Neil Williams wrote:
>
> somewhere in the region of 10 thousand million ISBN's should be
> available !! (roughish guess)

So with a max of 250,000 per server, that's a lot of servers!!

(That's also only until 2005 when a new, longer, ISBN comes into use.)

> 250Mb ?? no problem... I can at least match that if not quadruple it...
> (well a little less as it will need the OS in that space too...)

It's the performance that I was considering at 250,000 records - I know MySQL
is scalable but just how much will it take?

> How bandwidth hungry is it likely to be ? I can't really see it being
> too hungry as it is going to be text transfers...

Just lots of small transfers. The synchronisation will run via cron so it's up
to you to set how frequently it runs. Z39.50 is still giving me headaches and
I get occassional errors but each run of isbnsync adds anything from 0 to 300
records. Retrieving 300 records using single channel ISDN takes about 10
minutes, it'll be a lot quicker for the server but I don't have figures yet.

Zero retrievals should only happen if you've collected from that server with
exactly the same query before. With 130 servers now and 17 possible queries
on my own site, I make that odds of 1:8.65042e+35 against. :-)

fallbackisbn does the work of sequentially quering each server (130 so far,
250 likely eventually maybe more) in turn until a match is found and that
uses truly tiny transfers.

Talking of transfers, can I ask for all those interested join the mailing list
please?