Re: [LUG] Save as box

On Monday 22 Sep 2003 7:55 pm, Mike Tidball wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I would like to be able to save documents and downloads to a partition
> on my hard drive that I use just for data
> so that when I backup I just save the whole partition.This has never
> been a problem on windows but on SuSE 8.2 personal I find there is no
> option in the save as box to select other drives.My only options are

Hmm. Windowsitis. Linux doesn't have drives as such. What it does have is
symbolic links.
e.g. I have my program stuff on /dev/hda1, swap on /dev/hda5 and /home on
/dev/hda6 but within the filesystem, there is no indication of this, it's
just /, /home and the swap. If the partition you want to use is mounted (I
presume it is if you are already using it !), all you need to do is either
navigate to the mount point (via the / directory) or more conveniently,
create a link to the mount point.

mount point? /dev/hda6 is the partition, /home is the mount point.

so where is it mounted?

If I assume your home directory is /home/mike
and if I further assume that your data partition is mounted as /mnt/data, the
command would be:

$ ln -s /mnt/data /home/mike/data

Then you can click the data/ directory and your Save As will navigate to the
data partition in one operation. You can also cd to it, cd ~/data

If you need to remove the link, you can and you won't affect any of the data
on the partition.

man ln

--

Neil Williams