[LUG] xdm chooser, also non-root shutdown

When xdm starts up it does the equivalent of :

	X :0 -query localhost

and shows the local log-in screen, what do I have to tweak to get it to
start up by showing the local "chooser", i.e. the equivalent of :

	X :0 -indirect localhost

Basically I'm playing with an old box as a thin client, so the user at
start-up should see which (if any) more powerful machines are available
on the network.

Related to this, it would be nice to have a simple way for a "normal"
user to shut down the local machine, which isn't up to running a
full-blown desk-top (KDE or Gnome) with this facility built in. From a
simpler window manager the user must, first open a terminal (or switch
to a text screen), then su to root (meaning that they could wreak untold
havoc!), then execute "halt". I could write a script to do this along
with an "Are you really sure?" warning, but first I need some way of
getting "halt" to work for a non-root user. It works in Gnome so there
must be a way. (Sorry to be so stupid, this is one bit of Linux that
still has me baffled).

Keith (Bailey)