Re: [LUG] Debian and X

On Wednesday 17 Sep 2003 9:14 am, Simon Waters wrote:
> linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > dselect made it easy to uninstall XFree86v4 and rollback to v3.
>
> What is dselect ? ;-)

Part of the install - following tasksel - which can be used later to tweak the
system. It lists all the available packages and a short description, install
status, does a dependency check and basically makes it easier to find
packages where you don't know the precise name.

> You mean you use something other than "apt"? Weird.

How can you use apt when you don't know the name of the package only what you
want that package to do? dselect passes control over to apt to do the hard
work anyway.

> I think you can have Xfree86 V4 installed, and just install the 3.3.6
> SVGA driver as an option to V4. Haven't done it, but I'm sure "apt-cache

Nah. That was what I tried last - it was this combination that allowed me to
glimpse the correct display for a second.

> search XFree86" was hinting at that (and I've seen it on Redhat as well
> to cope with cards v4 doesn't support), perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

So does apt-cache offer to search package descriptions for terms? not just the
package names? It still wouldn't (presumably) allow me to install a package
that I'd never heard of but fancied trying.

> Are you sure you don't just want unstable? It is a lot more stable than
> building your own Debian variant in my limited experience.

It just means another immense download. I have debian packages on DVD for
KDE3.1, I can't expect Debian now to work with an upgraded X and the only
other packages that could do with an upgrade are GnuPG and MySQL. GnuPG is
hardly a problem sizewise and MySQL isn't going to be a problem for current
usage, only if I implement some ideas of moving into some mega tables
(estimates >10million records) which that laptop is NOT going to deal with!!

--

Neil Williams