Re: [LUG] GPG Keys

On Sunday 31 Aug 2003 8:24 am, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi Neil
>
> Finally getting round to getting a key. Could you explain how I do it
> once again please and how I post it to the dclug and download everybody
> else.

1. Run gpg first, to generate the options folder and empty keyrings.
$ gpg
... blurb ...
$ gpg
 .. go ahead and type your message:
Use Ctrl-C or Ctrl-D to exit at this point.

2. Use --gen-key
http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual.html#AEN26
(The manual gets all technical after this stage, you can accept the defaults
for a simple new key.)
http://webber.dewinter.com/gnupg_howto/english/GPGMiniHowto-3.html#ss3.1

3. Background.
Now read:
http://www.dclug.org.uk/linux_doc/startgnupg.html
This gives you the grounding in how to look after your new key.

4. Interact at DCLUG.
Then you can find out how to use your new key on the DCLUG website by reading:
http://www.dclug.org.uk/linux_adm/gnupg.html

5. Get a keyring.
Also use:
http://www.dclug.org.uk/linux_adm/gnupg.html#keyring
to download the existing keyring and import that into your local gpg
installation so that all our keys become available to you to verify
signatures etc.

6. Configure your email client.
Mozilla uses enigmail - just install the plugin.
Evolution uses GnuPG direct but only verifies MIME type signatures, not
inline.
KMail uses GnuPG direct and verifies inline signatures easily. Configuring
KMail to read the MIME type is awkward but once done, it is very easy to use.
http://www.gnupg.org/aegypten/development.en.html