[LUG] expunging mail using iampd

Hi everyone,

I have an annoying problem with my mail system. I have a couple of IMAP
accounts, the rest are pop3 all checked via MS Outlook or Out look Express.

When a mail in an imap account is deleted, it is just marked as deleted and
that is it it never goes away. If from a terminal i use pine it notices the
"marked deleted" messages and removes them from the /var/spool/mail/mailbox
so they nolonger show up.

Is there some utility i should run on the mail files to remove deleted items?
Or is there some other problem with my setup.

Its on an old mandrake 7.1 system, using postfix/procmail/fetchmail
combination. (Now forgive me for my vageness) The imapd is the one that comes
with mandrake 7.1 with the pop3d RPM, it is not part of cirus or the like.
Running from a command line gives "IMAP4rev1 v12.264.phall server ready"
The man pages don't say a thing useful and there dosn't appear to be a config
file for (this) imapd, i don't seem to be able to find a "standalone" imapd
on the internet.(it clearly is out there somewhere!)

Thanks for any help

Robin.