Re: [LUG] Messed up config file

On Sunday 17 Aug 2003 7:42 pm, Mike Tidball wrote:
> I originaly edited the files with a text editor accesed from the desktop.
> The files names were somethink like
> etc/X11/X86Config,etc/X11/X86ConfigYastsave and another I cant remember

You're editing the backup file made by YaST - that's bad. You could have used
that to start over.

> without going back in Suse.I'm having to do this in windows,windows can't
> read see any of the linux files or I would use windows to edit them.

Just as bleeding well too. I don't want any MS code trashing ext2!

You could get around this if you TRULY have to. Mount the windows partition
from Linux (most distros set this up for you so all you need to type is mount
/mnt/windows if it isn't mounted already) and copy the file you want to
/mnt/windows/temp or somewhere like that.

> So' after logging in as root and cd'ing to the etc/X11 directory what can I
> type to open and edit those files?

You are thinking as a Windows user - Don't!

1. Don't log in as root.
2. Don't ever log in as root.
3. Never login as root.
4. Tell yourself only fools/intruders crash around a system as root.
5. Repeat.

Login as a normal user, start a console/terminal and type su
Enter the root password as requested, NOW you can edit the file.
Issue the command:
vi /etc/X11/XF86Config
Then remember the commands: i to go to insert mode, escape to go to command
mode. :wq to save and exit. (there's a colon there at the start, colon w q)

> I'm still very much a microsoftie at the moment but i'll get there in the
> end!

We all started off somewhere around where you are now.

> I'm just going to try typing vi <filename> and emacs <filename> to see what
> happens.

Learning - that's what will happen. Good, bad or just trash, it's all good
fun.

--

Neil Williams