Re: [LUG] Messed up config file

On Sunday 17 Aug 2003 6:10 pm, Luke Hinds wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-08-17 at 17:57, Mike Tidball wrote:
> > Ive been trying to get the nvidia 3D drivers installed and the final step
> > according to an artical I read somewhere on the net was to alter a config
> > file. The trouble was i didnt have the file they refered to only 3
> > similarly named files. I edited them all as changing the first made no

Rule 1: Do precisely as you are told by the page, not what sounds similar.
:-)

Rule 2: Make a backup (as Luke advised).

Rule 3: Keep the old commands. Rather than use the comment for a declaration
of who made the changes, comment out the line you are about to change, copy
it onto the next line and then change the copied line - that way you can
always rollback by commenting out the line you changed and removing the #
from the original line.

#             if [ -f /var/run/snort_"$i".pid ]

             if [ -f /var/run/snort__"$i".pid ]

Simply swap the # to rollback your changes.

> cp /etc/filename /etc/filenameORIGINAL ,etc being the directory in which
> the file resides. Hey but i had to learn that the hard way as well ;)
>
> Also when ever you change anything. make a comment the hash '#' sign.
> This tells the system to ignore the following text.
>
> i.e
>
> VertRefresh 50.0-100.0 # Luke changed this to see if it made a
> difference!

What EXACTLY were the names of the files you changed?
(including full path)

If all else fails, use your packages (apt/RPM) to remove the package and
re-install it. RPM will likely complain if it's a reasonably important
package, so you might get away with just re-installing the package itself.
This doesn't always overwrite config files though.

> but I dont know the commands to open them so I can edit them back and save
> them.

How did you make the changes in the first place?

vi <filename>
or
emacs <filename>

I'm a vi user, so I'd use the command :wq to save the file once changed back.
There's an online manual for Vi on the dclug website, detailing all the
instructions. Basically, it's i to edit the file, Escape to enter a command,
:q! to abort without changes and :wq to save changes and exit.

http://www.dclug.org.uk/linux_doc/vi.html

--

Neil Williams