Re: [LUG] Cheap ADSL provider? And Modem issue

----- Original Message -----
From: "Terence McCarthy" <tjmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2003 9:56 AM
Subject: Re: [LUG] Cheap Linux friendly ADSL provider?

> On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 03:37:45 +0100
> Daniel Palmer <danielpalmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Any suggestions, experiences etc will be gratefully received :).
>
> I use Eclipse (an Exeter-based company) and I've been very pleased with
their service.

> You can also provide your own ADSL kit to connect, and they are Linux
friendly as well.

> I have no (other) connection with the comapny, BTW!
>
> Terence

I second that. I am with eclipse as they provide a fixed ip for no further
charge and they do not block unprived ports like some ISP's. I use them at
home and at work. They are also based in Exeter + their support guys are
helpful and know what they are on about!

The only thing is should you chose they will provide you with a Alcatel
Speedtouch 330 usb modem (the purple one), which i have had nothing but
trouble trying to get to work in linux. There a few how too's on the net but
nothing has worked for me. So i would go with Terence's suggestion and get
you own modem. Thomson who supply the Alcatel are as much use as an ashtray
on a bike.

If you have your own modem, then your ok there.

While i am here, has anyone else had this problem or have managed to get the
modem to work?

Regards,

Luke