Re: [LUG] MDK 9.1

On Thursday 07 Aug 2003 10:34 pm, Mike Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 22:30, Tony Atkin wrote:
> > On Thursday 07 August 2003 21:37, Mike Callaghan wrote:
> > > Now for the other bits: Can anybody recommend a utility to convert
> > > Windows media files (.wma) to MP3?
> >
> > I would rather use ogg format than mp3.
>
> OK. So do you know of a WMA to OGG converter?

From http://www.google.co.uk/linux

=============================
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=34724&cid=3758286

XMMS will play MPEG videos happily, as will any number of other Linux media
players. (Right now my favorite is xine.) With a quick download of some easy
to find codecs, AVI, ASF and WMV files can also be played, though I've
experienced stability problems when I try to do this. Of course, once again
the novice user won't know where to look for the codecs or perhaps even know
they need the codecs.
http://www.kudla.org/linux/

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/2/2002/06/3/23541

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/77093
Haha! MPLAYER to the rescue!

 If you have the win32 codecs installed (also available from mplayer's site)
then you can not only play WMA/WMV files, you can also convert them!

 mplayer file.wma -ao pcm -aofile file.wav will convert to a wav file from
which you can convert to an mp3/ogg yourself, or there are options to convert
straight to mp3... I just can't remember them  I know it has been touched
upon quite recently though (I think it was something to do with extracting
the audio from .mov files).

http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu/homepage/design6/info.html
 MPlayer is a movie player for LINUX (runs on many other Unices, and non-x86
CPUs, see the documentation). It plays most MPEG, VOB, AVI, OGG/OGM, VIVO,
ASF/WMA/WMV, QT/MOV/MP4, FLI, RM, NuppelVideo, YUV4MPEG, FILM, RoQ, PVA
files, supported by many native, XAnim, and Win32 DLL codecs. You can watch
VideoCD, SVCD, DVD, 3ivx, DivX 3/4/5 and even WMV movies, too (without the
avifile library).

Personally, I've just thought about using mp3ogg to convert some old
(Windows-written) mp3's into ogg's to match the rest of the collection.
http://linux.oldcrank.com/tips/mp3ogg/index.php

--

Neil Williams

http://www.biglumber.com/x/web?sn=Neil+Williams