Re: [LUG] Sony Viao Laptop & Linux

On Thursday 31 Jul 2003 3:53 pm, trewornan wrote:
> No major problems and I've installed redhat 7.2 7.3
> 8.0 and mandrake 9.0 (at various times) and I've also
> used Knoppix on it - but they don't like debian
> because of the i815 graphics card chip set.

Always a good idea to check www.google.co.uk/linux
Enter i815 debian and you get:

http://www.rivenstone.net/linux/i2500/
Linux on the Dell Inspiron 2500
Getting X working can be complicated. For those who just want to get it
running in a hurry, you need to know that you must have AGP support for the
i810/i815 in your kernel -- even if you don't care about 3D. If things aren't
working, try loading the agpgart module. Things are much more likely to "just
work" if you are using the latest version of your distribution. (FIXME: Does
the 2.2 kernel shipped with Debian woody have this support? What about
2.4.x?)
Debian users should choose "i810" when prompted to select an X server. (If
you're not prompted, run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86).

(same chipset)

--

Neil Williams

http://slashdot.org/~codehelp