Re: [LUG] Remote access

Hello all,

I have a quick query.

I need to dial in to my network at work which has a modem listening. It
is possible to dial in with a Windows based program called Dataterm (a
bespoke application from the software vendors I think) but I do not have
that on my windows box. If I could telnet or rlogin over the telephone
that may solve my problems (I also need an 'y60' terminal emulation)
However, all I can see on my telnet client is the ability to enter a host
name or IP address, not dial in to a remote computer.

In the days of the bulletin board, before the internet took off, the
terminal programs were able to access the modem and issue the 'at dt
01234 567890' command to dial the remote host. How do I do this now in
the high tech era?

Can anyone help please?

OK, time for my 2p worth.

Do a google search on the for "putty.exe" a wonderful little application that has all sorts of add ons.. oh it's free too..

Linux side (for when you see the light) There is an application called "minicom" again, great little package.. but read the help and you will understand it all.

HTH

Neil