Re: [LUG] Networking

Richard Brown wrote:
Hi Guys

Thank you once again for all your help. You are an excellent bunch and
have inspired me to what is a fun voyage!

I am currently using Suse 8.2 and am still struggling to get the network
going. I am hoping in the near future to maybe go down the road of the
LTSP project but in the meantime would like to get at least two machines
talking!

And that is where my question comes in. I have read many HowTos and
several articles on building a network but as of yet I am not networked!
I can't get past the basics. What do I do first? Do I set up my
firewall? I was going to use Smoothwall - is this a good idea. Do I set
that up first? Then I was going to install Suse 8.2 to a server but it
doesn't come with Apache, Mysql or PHP as standard. Should I therefore
get Suse Enterprise Server? I have several PII's and I intend to install
Slackware to them. When do I connect them in? I did get to the point of
having two machines networked or so I thought but they wouldn't talk.
The hub I have is a donated one. The lights come on so I assumed it
works but how can I tell?

I hope you're not too overwhelmed by the number of questions but if you
can point me to a book that would answer these questions that would be
useful as well.

Thanks for your help.

Rich

Rich,

If i understand this right, You want to setup a lan to share internet access and also play with web servers ?

despite what you may have been confused by networking on a small scale is not exactly rocket science.

Essentially you will need to decide on which IP address range you want to use. 192.164.0.0 -> 192.168.0.255 would be logical (you dont have more than 255 machines do you ??)

Once you have decided that you need to allocate the IP addresses to your machines, ensuring that none collide.

192.168.0.1 - Internet machine
	(I would suggest you use a dedicated smoothwall for this)
192.168.0.2 - PC1
192.168.0.3 - PC2
192.168.0.. - PC...

The "subnet" you wil need to set in this instance will be 255.255.255.0

Configure a machine name (hostname) for each machine

Thats about all is required.

If you have any further questions relating to networking please don't hesitate to contact either myself directly offlist or alternativly mail back to the lug.

Neil Stone