Re: [LUG] Spammers claiming to be me :(

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 05:14:05PM +0100, John Daragon wrote:
> On Thursday 10 July 2003 15:15, Steve Crook wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 02:22:01PM +0100, Paul Weaver wrote:
> > > Just so I know I'm not going mad, someone care to confirm that some
> > > spammer used my domain to send some rubbish to aolers? Anyone else ever
> > > had this?
> >
> > I suffered exactly the same thing about a week ago.  Lots of bounces
> > from AOL mta's, all claiming my messages couldn't be delivered.
> >
> > They used a false username, but my ISP-provided domain name.  I wrote to
> > AOL and asked for details on the originating source of the messages, but
> > surprise surprise, yet to hear anything back.
>
> The reason you're yet to hear anything back is that the original emails are
> unlikely to have originated in any of AOL's domains (at least, none of the
> ones I've seen so far have...)  You can hardly blame AOL for bouncing email
> directed at non-existent users to the address in the "Reply-to:" header...

John,

I didn't make my previous post very clear, I'll blame it on pressures of
work and see if anyone sympathises.  :)

I wrote to AOL asking if they could supply the header information of the
original messages that contained my email domain.  As I was only getting
the bounces from their mta, I had no means to know where the orignal
messages were coming from.  <cynical>I've still heard nothing back from them, so
maybe AOL don't keep email logs?</cynical>