Re: [LUG] Spammers claiming to be me :(

On Thursday 10 July 2003 14:22, Paul Weaver wrote:
> Just so I know I'm not going mad, someone care to confirm that some spammer
> used my domain to send some rubbish to aolers? Anyone else ever had this?

Snip spammy stuff ....

I've had this happen 4 times now.  The first time was fairly early in internet
time and was part of a Ponzi thing, so I lost my rag, threatened to sue the
(US) ISP if they didn't identify the sender and then passed it to the US
Postal inspectorate.  That was in the days when ISPs weren't flooded with
this sort of thing.

Since then, even having had several (probably several hundred) of these things
returned "Address unknown" to forged userids in my domain, I've never had a
complaint from a recipient.  I guess they, like me, have learned that return
addresses are almost always forged.

jd

--
John Daragon           argv[0] limited               john@xxxxxxxxxx
Lambs Lawn Cottage, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton TA3 5SL, UK