Re: [LUG] perpetual motion (was: CSS hacks. page-breaks andorphans)

On Sat, 2003-07-05 at 18:59, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Saturday 05 Jul 2003 12:45 am, Tony Atkin wrote:
> > On Saturday 05 July 2003 12:18 am, Jonathan Melhuish wrote:
> > > Could you design some clever CSS that automatically calculates when the
> > > last page of your printout is going to consist of the header, the footer
> > > and a couple of words of text?  I'd hate to think how many sheets of
> > > paper get wasted like that every year...
> >
> > I always thought that this was one of those cruel twists of fate, like
> > toast always landing butter side down. It's real, it's happening and it's
> > out there.  Somebody should produce a dossier.
>
> Not true. All you need to do is fix the toast, butter side up, to your cat's
> back, drop the cat and you'll have perpetual motion and never work again.
> :-)

Nah, we worked it out once (in a bar, obviously) you don't need the
toast, just hot buttered cats ;)

On the topic of CSS, there is one browser that breaks webpages using CSS
entirely, that I am aware of, Oregano 2 for RISC OS, which unfortunately
manages the worst possible approach to supporting a
protocol, it doesn't support even the CSS1 standard fully.

So while Oregano, which doesn't support CSS at all, degrades quite
elegantly and still provides a readable website, if one that doesn't
look at all similar to the original design, In oregano 2 it just
produces a horrible mess that isn't at all easy to read.

But as this very much a minority browser it isn't too much of a problem,
but it does demonstrate that if you are going to support a standard in
software, either support it fully, or don't support it at all.

--
James
jamesk[at]beeb[dot]net

"The creator of the universe works in mysterious ways. But he uses a
base ten counting system and likes round numbers." Scott Adams