Re: [LUG] Mail Servers

On Sat, 2003-07-05 at 09:16, Kai Hendry wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 09:16:04PM +0100, James Keasley wrote:
> > I am getting Broadband in the not to distant future, Yay!, and
> > am thinking of setting up my own mail server.
>
> Didn't you run a mail server on a dialup to relay mail?

Well yes, but only for outgoing mail, and the default setup of
sendmail was fine for that.

As the Sendmail config files appear to be in some bastard dialect of
ancient sanskrit, or something equally obscure, I want something a
little easier to setup and secure correctly if it os going to be at the
end of an always on connection with a fixed IP address.

I really, really don't want to end up relaying half a million
"increase your penis/breast/bank balance size" spam mails.

> > use? Initially I am thinking of either using Postfix or Exim,
> > though I am open to other suggestions.
>
> I roll with the Debian default, Exim.

Yeah they both sound good, and I am prevaricating largely because
while exim is the default debian mail server, and I am probably going to
install Debian on the server box, I have some very good dead tree format
guides to configuring and maintaining a postfix mailserver.

I think I'll probably end up trying both for a little while and seeing
which I find easier to setup and maintain.

--
James
jamesk[at]beeb[dot]net

"Is our children learning?" - George W. Bush