Re: [LUG] Mail Servers

James Keasley wrote:

I am getting Broadband in the not to distant future, Yay!, and am thinking of setting up my own mail server.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which mail server software to
use? Initially I am thinking of either using Postfix or Exim, though I am open to other suggestions.

Ideally the server should be able to use blocklists to cut down on spam,
and be able to use either, or ideally both, procmail and spamassassin
for further filtering, preferably without requiring complicated hacks to
get them to work properly.

Security is another issue, naturally, as is the ease of setting up a
configuration that is fairly 'locked down' and doesn't act as an open
relay.

Any suggestions or preferences?

I found myself in an identical position recently and I went with Postfix. It is closed-relay by default and the configuration is dead simple (at least compared to Sendmail). I got it running with Procmail & SpamAssassin with relative ease (the only difficult part for me was learning the structure of a .procmailrc file).

There's a good howto for getting SpamAssassin and Anomy (a malware filter for stripping things like .vbs attachments, javascript etc.) at http://www.advosys.ca/papers/postfix-filtering.html.

Don't really know anything about Exim...

David.

--
"Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est."

"For if a thing is not diminished by being shared with others, it is not rightly owned if it is only owned and not shared."
-- "De doctrina christiana", Saint Augustinus, 397 AD.