Re: [LUG] Spam. What Spam?

I wonder if the cypher is analogous to the "munging" of urls that is
sometimes used.

If I recall correctly, the process goes something like this:

Original string of characters is translated into Hex, then each pair of
the resulting 8 digit Hex code is reversed back into Denary.  The 4
resulting numbers are the real IP address.  I haven't had need to do it
for a while so I might not have that 100% correct.

The key to breaking each cypher will be determining where the @ symbol
is and also the full stop and working from there.  It can be assumed
with a high level of confidence that the . will be either 3 or 4 from
last, either .com, .uk, etc as every other TLD obeys either a 2 or 3
letter suffix.  With the power of today's computers if the search is
limited to these two characters it should not take long to run through
the possible combinations.

example:

assume 3 from the end is a dot.
Crib is the official list of country code TLDs.  That never changes.
run through every possibility of what could represent the last two
letters.  If you come up with a valid TLD try that sequence on the rest
of the cypher.  There will inevitable be false positives, but even
during the war the infant computers were running hundreds of
possibilities per second.

(For further information on code breaking I heartily recommend "Battle f
of Wits" by Stephen Budiansky)

Kind regards,

Julian