Re: [LUG] Spam. What Spam?

On Thursday 03 July 2003 00:07, you wrote:

> > Which made me think that one might send a stream of spoofed
> > "unique log ID references" back to the bastards concerned,
> > devaluing their lists of "live" email addresses.
>
> How? exactly? You'd have to be able to match the spoof ID to a
> listed email address

The enemy has done that for us, by sending an ID to an address
... more below ...

> and presumably therefore know the
> workings of the script that the spammer uses to generate the
> ID.
That is a significant cryptographic challenge, but I wouldn't
rule out people finding it entertaining to tackle.

There are a _lot_ of cribs available, since we already have the
technical and social means to collect large numbers of spam
emails into one place, this would be a service added to teh spam
black holes and collaborative filters, not something run by only
one site.

> False ID's would just be dumped by the script upon
> receipt.

> The generation and verification of the ID takes no more than 4
> - 12 lines of Perl (depending on how hard you want to mask the
> original 'seed' data) which would take so little time on a
> server that you would find it hard to measure, so bombarding
> the (usually web) server with invalid spoofs isn't exactly
> going to register as a DoS.

I bow to your knowledge on the time involved.  _Valid_ spoofs
though would have the effect I described.  The usefulness of the
attack depends on the number of valid spoofs that can be created.

> I have used this seed masking in Perl and the only real way to
> crack it is the same way as any substitutional cypher - you
> need to get hold of a lot of identical messages sent to
> various email accounts, all using the same cypher pattern AND
> hit it before the cypher pattern changes again. Whilst the
> pattern is in use, A is always g etc. but the next pattern
> changes A to decipher as r and so on.

I think that quantity can safely be assumed.

> Unlike the Enigma codes, there's no weak point of sending the
> cypher pattern to a receiver because with spam ID's the
> receiver (the one who needs to validate / decipher the ID)  IS
> the sender (the one who generated the ID) - a closed loop
> cypher. As the cypher pattern does not need to be revealed to
> anyone except the sender, each cypher has to be cracked from
> scratch every time the pattern changes.

Initial settings.
But in spam the volume is very much greater than Enigma traffic.

> Sounds like more work than is required. Use SpamAssassin and
> install Razor too, then the spam can be reported as verified
> and spam filters all over the internet can be updated.

If it can't economically be done - automated - then it is not
useful, but it atracts me asa  way of striking back, and at the
business quality rather than just the volume of business.
--
From the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/