Re: Debian installers was Re: [LUG] Ximian - Red Carpet

Kai Hendry wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 12:01:06PM +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
>
>>One that burnt me the other day was that as far as I can discover Debian
>>apt, doesn't log activity. If true this is a serious issue for some
>>potential commercial users of Debian.
>

> apt-get update | tee moo.txt
>
> perhaps script too?

Or an alias, but what I mean is if I am handling packages, it should log
package handling.

Your above approach doesn't fix it if while I'm away Neil comes in and
does "dpkg -i /mnt/cdrom/packagesimonshouldhaveupgradedlongago". He
might forget the "tee" if he apt'ed, or bypass my aliases, and what
happens if it runs out of disk space due to the logging....

I appreciate these issues can be made up by good procedures, that was
the Microsoft line at the W2K launch - I paraphrase "the real problem
with data centre NT, is that NT admins have no experience of data centre
procedures" - but even those who do struggled to find out what files
were upgraded by what patch, when, and who was logged in doing it at the
time (Administrator of course). So good audit trails should be an
option, and probably should default on.

Maybe I'm old fashioned and should just design to put root disks on
network storage, but then my network storage system had better have
stunning change control itself. Coz I've been there when the network
storage device revealed the bug in that last firmware update, and it
wasn't pretty, even if it did fix an NFS v3 bug :-(

> The way I see people updating debian is like:
> for i in machines:
>     ssh i -c some_command
>
> Something like that...

Done that, been there, with HP-UX and swinstall, but Debian has tools
more like the expensive HP ones, which I haven't tried out yet for
managing groups of computers under Debian.

The HP tools let you schedule trial updates to ensure dependencies are
okay, and you have enough disk space in each logical volume. So be
interesting to see how Debian compares. So you can designate some of
your HP workstations as "test" boxes, and then schedule a test upgrade
to make sure the upgrade will work, before scheduling the genuine thing
for when the development team are asleep (everyone always tests things
on the developers systems in my experience - "developer" is a little
known synonym of "guinea pig" - probably because they often bring fixes
or workarounds with their bug reports).

swinstall (and friends) were the best of such tools in the proprietary
world I saw, this was all "enterpise quality" software back in the mid
90's. Sure none of it is terribly clever, and you can get 99% with cron
and a few scripts, but in enterprise environments, putting your own
scripts in for this sort of thing is hard work, not least because it is
tough for the little guys to test. Ironically schools and universities
would make an ideal test site for such software, as they face the same
issues, but downtime tends to be less critical.

Don't get me wrong, I think Debian is superb, just want to learn (or
fix) specific aspects. It is interesting how slow progress in the
proprietary Unix world is in comparison to free software. Although I
note that Debian stable/testing turn over is very slow, and solid, given
the tagrets they set themselves the results are definitely comparable to
proprietary Unix system vendors.

Although an interesting question is was Unix slow because it tried to be
unified. GUI development seemed to die after every vendor went with
HP-VUE (oops CDE). This battle between standardisation and diversity
seems to be my theme for the month.

 Simon